Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Golden Globes in Review Shweta Murali

The Golden Globes in Review
Shweta Murali


The Golden Globe Awards took place on Sunday, January 10, 2016. I highly anticipate this event every year, but this year it didn't quite live up to my expectations. There were some winners and losers who I think deserved different. Also, this year’s host, Ricky Gervais, was not my personal favorite. He made jokes that weren’t even funny, and most of them were just awkward, irrelevant, and sometimes offensive. Hosts are supposed to poke fun at the audience, but Gervais took it too far. The host is usually the person who makes the award show what it is, and Gervais did that- but not in a good way. Here are my opinions about the winners:
·  Mr. Robot winning 2 awards was particularly shocking to me, as more popular and higher rated shows such as Game of Thrones and Empire were nominated. In my opinion, one of the latter deserved to win best TV Series- Drama.
·  Rachel Bloom won Best TV Actress-Comedy, for the show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend which has very low ratings. I think that either Gina Rodriguez or Jamie Lee Curtis deserved to win that award.
·  The biggest shocker to me was Gael Garcia Bernal winning Best Actor in a TV Series – Comedy for “Mozart in the Jungle.” It is a good show, but Jeffrey Tambor should have won for "Transparent." Even Aziz Ansari, who was nominated for that award, said that he thought Tambor would win.
·  On a more positive note, Jennifer Lawrence won Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy for “Joy”, which I think was expected. This movie was probably the worst movie of the year, and that says a lot coming from me because I love most movies. But “Joy” had no storyline, plot, or intensity and I think I should get my $12 back. However, Jennifer Lawrence’s acting made the movie much better. It was phenomenal, and the only reason I actually stayed in the theater.
·  Leonardo DiCaprio’s reaction to winning an award was absolutely priceless, and I think he certainly deserves it. He is an actor who does not receive nearly as much recognition as he should be getting, and I am happy he won an award for “The Revenant.”



These are just my opinions and I wanted to share them with you. Clearly, everyone who won or was nominated for an award really deserves it because they work so hard every day. These are just my personal beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment