Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

High School Tips by Shweta Murali

High School Tips

So I’m officially a freshman. It’s hard to believe that I just started high school less than three weeks ago and all I can say is: Holy cow. This is certainly different from middle school. Although I haven’t been at SBHS long, I have definitely learned some vital lessons from my experience so far. So if you’re a freshman like me, an eighth-grader anxious for the transition next year, or even an upperclassman, you will surely be able to utilize my advice.

1.    Don’t procrastinate. Now this is coming from the Queen of Procrastination herself, and I’m trying my best not to be a hypocrite. But sometimes I just can’t help but sit down with a bag of popcorn and Netflix on my laptop and think, “Oh, I can write that essay later. I have a week.” Then one episode turns into two, and two turns into an all nighter, binge watching, wondering what my life has become. A week flies by then suddenly it’s 11:30 at night and my paper is due tomorrow- and I’m staring at a blank screen. It happens to all of us, but you have to learn to manage your time and prioritize. If you are able to do so successfully, you will (hopefully) not fail all your classes.
2.    Get involved. You may not want to try out for a sport or be in a club because you think it will be too time consuming, but you will regret it. Getting involved in extracurricular activities is one of the main things that will make your high school experience memorable. Not only will you have a great time and get active, but you will make a ton of new friends in the process. So yes, go to that football game after school even though you would prefer to stay at home in your pajamas. And yes, wear your black and gold! Trust me, being a part of the South Brunswick community is an absolutely incredible thing.
3.    Last but not least, HAVE FUN! Believe me when I say I’m trying my best not to be too cliche, but this is honestly the greatest thing you can do in order to enjoy high school. You’re a teenager, and these are some of the best years of your life. You’re going to look back and think about your experiences and friends, not about your GPA that should have been a 4.0 instead of a 3.9. So yes, still study and maintain your academic performance; that is the main reason we go to school. But still enjoy yourself!  Be social, be involved, and be yourself. Don’t put unnecessary pressure on yourself to be the best in your class. Surely strive, but strive for excellence, not perfection, because perfection is an unattainable ideal. Everyone says freshman year is torture and you’re going to hate it (words from my fellow sophomore friends). But, it’s really not that bad. Sure, there’s the occasional stress and the last minute cramming for tests you completely forgot about it, but you eventually learn how to deal with it. When you’re feeling anxious about this massive step into new territory, just remember one thing: change is good. 

By Shweta Murali

1 comment: