Pages

Friday, August 9, 2024

THE COUNTDOWN --An Original short by Anushka Bhatt

 THE COUNTDOWN

BY: ANUSHKA BHATT


Fighting war isn't very easy especially when we have to travel to a whole new planet to

do it. You may not know about this story, but it is a story I’ll never forget. To be precise it was

2014, May and we were all boarding the spaceship to go fight the martians, in the military we

called them Men Of Mars, M.O.M. I know it sounds like a funny name, but let me tell you the

war between them wasn’t fun at all. All. Only a few of us survived after we all lost our air tanks,

the only reason I and a few others survived is because we used the air of men who already died.

Oh yeah, a little spoiler alert but we didn’t win. That’s why we didn’t or can’t invade mars and

start new life because they already have it there and we can't triumph over them like we tried.

Anyways, here is how the story started.

After months and months of training we finally could board the ultimate spaceship to go

to mars, and we were locked with chemical fiber guns which were hypothetically supposed to

kill the M.OMs in one shot, but they were wrong. What they didn't think of was how the gun

would react in mars. I was young, dumb and broke and had nothing to lose so I signed the

wavers of my life and did my space training and the next thing you know, I’m on a spaceship to

fight angry men from the planet mars! After everything was put in place, we got into and left for

space, my biggest fear was getting sucked into the abyss but that didn’t happen... luckily. We

landed on a deserted land on mars and it was way funner than training, I felt like cotton candy!

We then unloaded all the compartments, with grenades and everything else and it was

time for the battle. I eyed the grenades but little did I know that I was going to be in charge of

them.

We got to the land and there was a countdown for about 10 seconds into the war. After it

did start, it wasn’t the best. Everyone realized their guns didn't work so some started using hands

and others used pocket knives. I soon got information that our general had died and we needed a

backup, so I ran to our temporary mars headquarters and started working with purple blood on

my hands.


“SIR! WE HAVE THE LARGEST GRENADE IN THE UNIVERSE SPECIFICALLY

MADE FOR MARTIANS” said the general's assistant


“DIDN'T THAT ONE NOT WORK?!” I yelled

“YES, BUT THIS IS A NEW FORMULA AND IF WE POSITION IT RIGHT IT'LL

WORK!”


“OKAY, OKAY FINE” I proclaimed.


We got the position of the grenade and started the countdown..


“3”

“2”

“1!”


The grenade dropped, and yes it did work but what we didn’t know was it killed all the humans.

Not all of our soldiers though, we had just about a handful which wasn't enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment