Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Priyal Patel - The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri


Priyal Patel - The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

I had to read this book in my english class and it was one of my favorite books. This book is about a family that moved from Calcutta to the United States of America. The parents, Ashima and Ashoke, had an arranged marriage then moved here. After a while, they had 2 children named Gogol and Sonia. This is really focused on the family at first then focuses more on Gogol and his life. Throughout the book, the family has been through so much and suffered a lot from the children’s childhood. Many tragedies happen to the family and this shapes the way the family lives throughout the book. As a hindu, some of the stereotypes said in the book makes me feel connected to the book. I can connect so much that the lifestyles are quite similar. Everytime I opened the book, I was excited to read it and made me feel like I am not the only one in the world that is living this type of life. These important moments in the book really grabbed my attention. After major events, the plot takes a big twist and the family dramatically changes throughout the book.

I recommend you to read this book because it is from a very different perspective. It is not like any other ordinary book that you read in high school. It’s a book filled with humor, adventure and bonds becoming stronger within the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment