Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Uncertainty by Ananya Swaminathan

Uncertainty

She is seated in a comfortable chair,
Fidgeting with her nails and hair,
Trying to look more confident than she feels,
“I hope this interview goes better than the last one.”

Teenagers finally leave the long party,
Collapsing upon arriving home, burdened by work,
Haunted by tests they didn’t study for,
“Could I somehow magically keep up my grade?”

Some tell her to follow her heart and dreams.
Others want her to be practical and safe.
She struggles to decide between writer and doctor,
“What if I choose wrong and end up regretting?”

She has finally graduated high school.
When asked if the future and possibilities daunt her,
She draws herself up confidently and declares,
“I don’t know exactly where I’m headed, but it’s going to be great.”

~Ananya Swaminathan


No comments:

Post a Comment