Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Bridge by Ananya Swaminathan

Bridge

We built a bridge, a sturdy bridge,
One that carried us over roiling oceans and quiet lakes.
But as time went on, the bridge slowly weakened
And as I make this journey, part of it breaks away...

Time is running out, there’s no turning back.
It’s only a matter of time before the bridge collapses
But I have to see you one last time.
Only then can I let our bond break at last.

I am fighting now, fighting the wind and cold for you.
If only I knew you were doing the same
Then I could decide if this journey is in vain.
My hands and face are beginning to freeze.

Why did we neglect our connection for so long?
I wish I had known this would happen.
A fractured friendship only serves to destroy me.
How did we allow this to occur?

Running across the bridge, slipping on patches of ice,
Do you remember building this hand in hand?
Those summer days with the wind blowing hair in my face
And you laughingly pushing it out of my eyes.

I’m weak, struggling, barely able to move.
I can hear the ominous rumble of the bridge behind me.
The connection I tried so hard to salvage is dying.
I resign myself to fate. I did this to us...

A cold hand grasps mine and a voice cries out.
I look up, shocked. You made the journey, too.
You pull me to my feet, ready to run, ready to help me.
But there’s nothing to run from. The bridge is completely intact.

~Ananya Swaminathan


No comments:

Post a Comment