Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Words Unspoken, a poem by Ananya Swaminathan

Words Unspoken

They laughed, but you looked on with compassion.
You made them stop.
Thank you.

They played with my emotions and then tore them up, threw them away.
You treat my feelings like glass.
You are a beautiful person.

I was quiet, socially awkward. Afraid to be mocked.
You made me feel better about myself.
I am truly grateful.

I tried to show you how much I appreciated you.
But I failed every time.
I wish I could be more like you.

You thought I was trying to push you away. But I couldn’t tell you how I felt.
My voice didn’t work when I was with you.
Please don’t leave me.

You misunderstood me, but I didn’t know how to make you understand.
I seemed cold, but I was actually shy.
I don’t dislike you!

You finally gave up on me. You thought I didn’t really care.
It wasn’t like that at all.
I love you.

If only I had said the words.

            ~Ananya Swaminathan


No comments:

Post a Comment