Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Poem by Harrison Chiu

Harrison Chiu

I followed him, a shadow and Master
Up the limb, high over the bank
Climbing behind, always behind
In every contest, behind him

Come out a little way, said he
And we’ll jump side by side
I know I dragged you away,
But I can’t come, by myself
Will we go together?

I started to speak
But something held me back
The truth, perhaps, the damned truth
Voices, in my head, whispering
You are not the same quality as him
I am not the same quality as him
You are equal in enmity
We are equal in enmity

No, not even equal in that
Behind, always behind
No justification, no sustaining thoughts
I couldn’t stand this

I, the shadow, jounced the limb
And watched another shadow fall
Something overcame me, yes
That was it!
It wasn’t me, no
That couldn’t be it


 Could it?

No comments:

Post a Comment