Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2026

The Terrifying First Time Driving by Aaliyah Sharma

 The Terrifying First Time Driving by Aaliyah Sharma


        There is a specific moment when growing up suddenly stops feeling theoretical and becomes very real. For me, it didn’t happen at midnight on my birthday; it happened the first time I sat in the driver’s seat, adjusted the rearview mirror, and realized I was now in charge of a two-ton vehicle. Up until that afternoon, riding in a car was totally passive. I’d listen to music, look out the window, or check my phone while someone else handled the road. The second I swapped seats, that comfortable bubble completely popped.
        We started on a quiet side street, but to my brain, it might as well have been a six-lane highway. My instructor sat in the passenger seat with an unnervingly calm attitude, telling me to start the engine and slowly shift into drive. As soon as I took my foot off the brake, my heart rate spiked. Steering, which always looked so effortless when my parents did it, suddenly felt like a high-stakes balancing act. Keeping the car straight in the middle of the lane took way more focus than I ever expected.
        The hardest part was definitely getting a feel for the pedals. The brake, in particular, was completely unforgiving. The first time I tried to stop at a sign, I tapped it just a little too hard, causing the car to lurch forward and nearly giving us both whiplash. After a quick, awkward apology, I spent the rest of the hour trying to figure out the exact millimeter of pressure needed to stop smoothly. Even keeping a steady speed felt like a chore, as the needle kept drifting five miles over or under the limit every time I looked down at the dashboard.
        What made the whole experience so stressful was the sudden weight of responsibility. Being a passenger means trusting that everyone else knows what they’re doing. Being the driver forces you to realize that every car passing you is just another person hoping everyone follows the rules. You have to watch your blind spots, check your mirrors, scan for pedestrians, and predict what the car in front of you is going to do all at once. The margin for error felt incredibly thin.
        By the time I finally put the car back in park, my hands were literally stiff from holding the steering wheel so tight. I hadn't hit a curb or caused any damage, but I felt like I had just finished a full mental workout. Learning to drive is definitely a major milestone, but it’s also a reality check. It gives you a lot of freedom, but it also gives you a whole new respect for the road and a lot more appreciation for whoever has been driving you around your entire life.

Aaliyah Sharma

No comments:

Post a Comment