Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2026

My trip to Sandy Hook by Sarvessh Senthamarai Kannan

 I noticed that smoking was not allowed inside of the beach itself but was allowed

in the parking lot. That made me understand why there where so many cigarette

buds on the parking lot ground. There were also many food trucks that served

things such as ice cream, fish, and pretzels. This created a lively presence where

many people showed up to buy food. However, although there were many people

breaking the rules, there were some very nice people who picked up trash from the

beach. They picked up things like soda cans, chip bags, and water bottles. There

was a Teen Service Group that came there to service the beach. Overall, there were

a lot of people who were volunteering to help the beach. Away from the shore, the

water had an infinite amount of eggs. This made it very uncomfortable for a lot of

people including me. And although there were many volunteers to help keep the

beach clean, there was a good amount of litter in the water. There were also many

people who were fishing using their own boats. There was even a cruise boat

passing by. After a while, we got hungry. So I decided to buy pretzels from one of

the food trucks. It was now about 3:00 pm. So, we decided to head to the

backwaters of Sandy. The plan was to visit the National Park’s Service tent, where

we could learn about the creatures that lived on the beach. As expected, there

indeed was a tent. One of the first activities that we did was inspecting the group

of creatures situated inside of a small baby pool. However, I saw a blue tube

connected to a box that created bubbles inside of the small pool. I had a question ,

“What is that,” I asked. I was told that it supplied the water with oxygen. One of

the creatures we learned about was the Horseshoe Crab. It reminded me of the

shells that always ended up on the shore when I was little. Me and my family

always wondered what it was. The park ranger, whose name was Emily, explained

that horseshoe crabs only come out of their shell at times throughout the course

of their estimated thirty year life. But my favorite part was seeing the baby crab, I

had never seen one before. The park ranger told us that it was very vulnerable to

being hurt due to its undeveloped muscles. We were also taught how to hold the


crab safely, while still keeping the crab safe. I tried it first. I placed my index finger

on the top of the crab’s belly and my thumb on the bottom of the crab’s belly.

This way, I avoided the strong pinchers of the crab. Finally, we were taught how

to fish using a fishing net. First, we lined up in two lines to hold the opposing

ends of the net. Next, one person from each side held the top and bottom of the

pole of their corresponding sides firmly. After, we waded deep into the water to

maximize our chance of catching some fish. Lastly, we executed the most

important part. We slightly tiled the poles at an angle so that the bottom touched

the sea bed. We walked swiftly towards the shore. Now, the exciting part. Both

sides lifted the net out of the water, just so that the fish won’t swim away. And

within three hours, we had learned some essential life skills and facts. I had learned

a lot, now it was food time. After a long day of fun and learning, me and my

family were ready for a delicious dinner. I opened up my notebook, and looked

through my plans for the day. According to my plan, we were supposed to head to

our favorite Chinese restaurant, Shu House. The temptation was irresistible, but

we had to get through the two hour drive back. As we reached the restaurant, I

opened my notebook once more to check the budget for the meal. The budget

was $110. Me and my sister ordered two Udon Shrimp Noodles , vegetable

dumplings, and a tofu stir-fry. My parents bought a Dry Pepper Dish with shrimp

and fish, a vegetable fried rice, and a Shu-House Dumpling(a fun way to say a

crisped up donut). Right before we paid the bill, we received a complementary

plate of fresh oranges, a perfect way to top off a great meal. The food was really

good. Overall, it was a very flavorful and delicious meal that came out to $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment