Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2026

When Expectations Become Pressure by Shuxuan Chang

 When Expectations Become Pressure by Shuxuan Chang

                   At the beginning of summer break, my father asked me about my plans for the summer. I told him that I could accomplish many things in two months. For example, I wanted to volunteer, explore colleges I was interested in, research universities, and study next year’s classes.

        Every day, I try to complete my daily plan. Sometimes, I feel exhausted because I set too many expectations for myself. I keep telling myself, “I have to finish this today.” Even when I make a plan, I sometimes don’t have the motivation to follow it. I put a lot of pressure on myself, and it makes me feel tired. Sometimes, when my parents excitedly ask me about my progress, I tell them, “I don’t know. I just feel tired because I know I still have a lot of work to do.” Sharing my plans with others sometimes makes me feel more pressure. My parents told me that sometimes it is better to keep my goals private until I make progress.

      I talked about this with my friend, and she said she had experienced the same thing. She realized that sharing every detail of her plans created a lot of pressure because everyone knew what she was doing. After that, she stopped sharing all of her goals with others. Listening to her experience helped me understand that sometimes, keeping some goals private can reduce unnecessary pressure. I also learned that it is important to focus on my own progress instead of worrying too much about other people’s expectations.

       After thinking about this, I realized that having goals is important, but I should not let my goals control my life. It is okay if I cannot finish everything perfectly. Sometimes, taking a break and adjusting my plan can help me move forward. Goals should motivate me, not make me feel trapped by pressure.



No comments:

Post a Comment