Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Journaling Article by: Svetina S

 Journaling

Article by: Svetina S



It seems like a million thoughts swirl through my head every single day. It can be overwhelming, and it’s difficult to sort out my feelings and understand how I really feel. It’s stressful - unless I get them out somehow. Enter the age-old practice of journaling, my favorite way to organize my thoughts.


Journaling is an amazing tool that helps get my thoughts onto paper. When I can physically see the words that are floating through my mind, I am able to process them easier and recognize solutions to problems that I wouldn’t have before. It allows me to take a break from the hectic environment of my own mind and release everything where nobody will ever see it. Furthermore, as I write for long periods of time, I can look back at my old journals and see how far I’ve come mentally. Journaling has helped my mental health so much, and it could do the same for you. So, how do you start?


There are many different types of journaling, and I find it helpful to have various journals for each type. The journal that I use the most often is just a simple composition notebook, where I try to write a page or two each day about what I’m thinking about, what happened recently, any problems I have, and the solutions that I find during the process. Many times, I have started writing a page with some complaint about my life, and by the time I end the page I’ve already found the solution. If you’re looking to start journaling, I recommend starting here. It’s the simplest and most convenient- all you need to do is write what you’re thinking. 

Another form of journaling is something called “stream of consciousness”, which is great for beginners. I saw this online a while ago, and it has also helped me a lot. The main idea is to write for twenty minutes WITHOUT stopping. The result is an unfiltered progression of my emotions and thoughts on paper. The things I am worrying about will work their way onto the paper, even if I haven’t been conscious about them. Don’t worry too much about the quality of what you write, the main point is to just write. I personally write a stream of consciousness journal whenever I feel extremely overwhelmed. Dumping all my thoughts into a notebook and then closing it feels like closing the thoughts themselves, and it helps me calm down when I have a lot of problems in my mind. It is also useful for creating steps to solving a problem, as you can write down any ideas you have the second they appear in your head so you don’t forget them later.


Journaling is a powerful tool for self-discovery and mental fulfillment, not just a hobby. By adding this seemingly simple but extremely effective practice into your life, you will be better equipped to understand the complex facets of your own life. Give it a try, and the positive effects will gradually appear.


No comments:

Post a Comment