Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Book Review of the Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See written by Isha Patel

Book Review of the Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I read this book when I was a child in 9th grade for the first time in my life. I loved the cover and the title. But what gave me the last little push I needed to give this book a go was the inside cover that I read. I loved it so much that I read it again in 11 grade for my Global Studies' book essay.

I was drawn by the true love of friendship between two girls named Lily and Snow Flower. They were paired with each other as laotong or  old same at the tender age of seven. They send each other letters in nu shu, a secret Chinese women's writing that was created to prevented the influence of men. But soon a misunderstanding arises that turns this friendships into the verge of breaking. 

The author does tackle some social issue like role of women, superstitions and cultural traditions.

Foot binding is a key tradition for women in China. Foot binding is such a painful process. I do not like the fact that young girls in China were obligated to do this to look beautiful. It is just ridiculous.

Women are worthless is mentioned multiple times in the book. Sons were seen more important than daughters. Sons would bring prosperity and happiness while daughters are a burden and only worth of getting married and giving birth to a son. I highly do not like this concept but I did help us know how some were seen in the past.

The letters that they send in nu shu were embroidered on a handkerchief when makes it so much special. This made me want to learn embroidery. It is just so beautiful. The quotes that they embroidered on the handkerchief in nu shu were so meaningful and unique. One quote that I love is "the classics tell us that, in relationships, the one between teacher and student comes second only to the one between parent and child."

The way this book started and ended was so thoughtful. It started with eighty - three year old Lily reflecting on her past life and ended with the same old aged Lily. I think this is a great way to compose a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment