Pages

Saturday, June 17, 2017

“Book Review of My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows” by Vanditha Krishnan

“Book Review of My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows”
by Vanditha Krishnan



First of all, look at that cover. Don’t you just want to cuddle up in your blanket and begin reading? My Lady Jane is a comical, romantical, and wonderfully written novel by the terrific trio, Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows. These authors, famous for writing the Unearthly, Everneath, and Incarnate series, have done it again with this debut novel series. The other books in the trilogy are releasing later this year and the beginning of next year, and I can’t wait to read them!

Plot: The novel is based off on history -- Lady Jane Grey, a sixteen-year-old cousin of King Edward VI (who is also sixteen), is about to be married to the nineteen-year-old Lord Gifford Dunley, aka “G.” It takes place during the the Tudor Era, which was from 1485 to 1603 in England. The main conflict in the Tudor Era was between the Catholics and the Protestants. My Lady Jane used magical shapeshifters to represent these Protestants, who were hated throughout much of England. In the story, Lady Jane is caught up in an evil conspiracy to steal the young King Edward’s throne, but before she does, she will become one of the most powerful women in England -- the Queen.

Characters: Jane. Oh, Jane. Definitely my favorite book character of all time. She was compassionate, sarcastic, intelligent, and adored books -- all qualities that are relatable to me and many others. Jane wanted to do what was best for England, not just her; that’s what truly made me appreciate her personality. Edward, or should I say, King Edward VI, was a close second. He was one of the few Tudor kings that was noble and magnanimous. Edward was a loyal king, as well as a loving cousin. His relationship with cousin Jane was gush-worthy. And our last character is Gifford. Lady Jane was actually married to Lord Guildford Dunley, and that is one of the significant differences between this novel and history. Gifford, however, was likable. In the beginning of the novel, he seemed reluctant and brooding; eventually, he was supportive and loved Jane with all of his heart. The characters in My Lady Jane were so relatable -- overall, they enhanced the story.


Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed My Lady Jane, but did not appreciate the author speaking right to me. In some cases, this did clarify the actual history behind the novel, but generally it seemed too direct. Other than that, this extraordinary book kept me up for two hours straight, and I appreciate the fact that Ashton, Hand, and Meadows incorporated history into such a hilarious book. Great read!

My Rating: 9.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment