Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Miss Telall 2/3/16

2/3/16
SBPL readers, it’s your own advice columnist- Miss Telall, presenting two more entries. Having issues or just want to talk? She’s always up to offer advice, so be sure to email her at MissTelallSBPL@gmail.com, and check the SPBL blog for a reply addressing your problem. All entries are always ANONYMOUS, and no problem is too big or too embarrassing for Miss Telall to tackle!


Dear Miss Telall,

      I feel as if everything I do is only to fulfill requirements for college. I used to always spend my time doing things I actually like! I mean painting, sketching, reading- all my creative hobbies. I even had time for those littler hobbies that gave me those small unique skills I love- knitting, baking, writing small stories. Now I spend all my free time going to clubs I don't care about or taking those classes I know the colleges want to see- but that honestly bore me! How to I manage to keep improving at what I love, while still doing what I have to to get into college?

                              Sincerely,
                   Giving Up the Good Things
      
Dear Giving Up the Good Things,

        What I'm about to say might sound crazy considering all 'conventional' wisdom about college acceptances. But, honestly, it's true! Taking the classes that everyone else is taking to please a college isn't always as impressive as putting all your effort into doing something out of the box that you love! If you love to do art, try setting up art classes and turn it into a business! Maybe even try out national competitions (Scholastic had a great one). Being different from the crowd, and showing that you're genuinely dedicated and passionate to that different activity is going to make colleges AND you happy. You don't want to be a carbon copy of all the other applicants- a well-rounded person willing to expend the effort to refine themselves in something they have clearly shown they're committed to is better than someone who is taking classes or in clubs just to be there.
Personally, if I could do high school all over, I'd want to spend my time being happy with what I'm involved in! Just make the effort to go over and above with whatever you decide to do, because that's all anyone can ask! And, doing what you like to do will leave you with a lifelong skill, a lifelong hobby, and genuine drive to do well. So go after your dreams!



                                    Sincerely,
                                  Miss Telall
Dear Miss Telall,
        
      I don’t exactly know where to turn anymore. Every time I talk to my parents, they are interested in what I’m doing for college applications. Every time I turn to my friends, they are talking about extracurriculars and their favorite colleges. I feel like there is nothing else to talk about than colleges or extracurricular activities. I need a major break!
                              Sincerely,
                   Stuck on College
Dear Stuck on College,

         I definitely understand the downward spiral which your life has descended into, and the pain you feel at everyone talking about the same topic: college. Naturally, nearing the end of high school, everyone is going to be asking you about your future plans and discussing their own. However, if you feel too overwhelmed, just ask your friends to change the topic (or introduce a new one)! You don’t have to always focus on college, and school. Tell your parents that you don’t like constantly being nagged about college, provided that you are doing your work and participating in some extracurriculars. Speaking of extracurriculars, there are plenty of clubs to turn to where college is not discussed, but rather, personal ambitions and interests are! At SBPL, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in various activities which have to do with having fun and being yourself. To get your mind off of college and acceptance letters, learn to let go by hanging out with friends or relaxing alone.
I’m sure you’ll be able to find your own oasis, where you can just focus on being yourself and getting a well-needed relaxation.



                                    Sincerely,
                                  Miss Telall

No comments:

Post a Comment