Pages

▼

Monday, October 5, 2026

The Two-Dollar Masterpiece: Why Costco Pizza is the Best by Nandan Kamalakannan

 The Two-Dollar Masterpiece: Why Costco Pizza is the Best by Nandan Kamalakannan

When I was little, a trip to Costco always felt like an intense, hours-long expedition. It meant

navigating an endless maze of concrete aisles, dodging giant flatbed carts, and staring at

towering mountains of paper towels. But none of that mattered, because there was always an

unspoken promise at the end of the journey. If I survived the shopping trip, I would be rewarded

with the ultimate prize: a slice of Costco food court pizza that was literally bigger than my head.

Now that I am older, a lot of things from my childhood have lost their magic, but that pizza

remains a flawless masterpiece. People can argue all day about what makes a "real" or

"authentic" pizza. They talk about wood-fired brick ovens, imported tomatoes, and fancy

artisanal cheeses. I honestly do not care about any of that. If you ask me, the peak of culinary

perfection is a massive, incredibly greasy, two-dollar slice of cheese pizza handed to you on a

flimsy paper plate while you stand next to a bulk display of tires.

There is a specific science to eating it. Because the slice is so wide and heavy with cheese, you

cannot just pick it up normally. You have to master the strategic fold down the middle to keep the

structural integrity intact. The crust is always perfectly chewy, the cheese has those beautiful,

slightly charred golden bubbles, and it is always exactly the same. In a world where everything is

constantly changing and getting more complicated, there is something deeply comforting about

knowing that a Costco pizza tastes exactly the same today as it did when I was seven years old.

It is also the ultimate equalizer. Whether you are a little kid sitting in the front of a shopping cart,

a teenager grabbing a cheap dinner after hanging out, or an adult stocking up on groceries,

everyone completely loses their minds for the food court. It isn't trying to be fancy or gourmet,

and that is exactly why it is so good.

Sometimes, the best food doesn't come from a five-star restaurant with a massive waiting list.

Sometimes, it comes from a giant warehouse store right after you walk past a receipt-checker

with a yellow highlighter. Costco pizza is a childhood staple that never actually gets old, and I

will gladly defend it as the best slice in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment