Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2026

The Stranger Who Changed My Day by Nandan Kamalakannan

 The Stranger Who Changed My Day by Nandan Kamalakannan

It was an ordinary afternoon. I was sitting in the library trying to finish my homework, surrounded by

books, notes, and a growing feeling of frustration. I had been staring at the same problem for almost

twenty minutes, and nothing seemed to make sense.

I looked around and noticed how quiet the library was. Everyone seemed busy with their own lives. A

student was typing on a laptop, someone was reading a novel, and an elderly man was carefully choosing

books from a shelf. Everyone had a story, but I knew nothing about any of them.

After a few more minutes of struggling, I decided to take a short break. As I walked toward the water

fountain, I dropped some of my papers on the floor. Before I could pick them up, the elderly man I had

noticed earlier helped me collect them.

“You look like you’re working hard,” he said with a smile. “Don’t forget to take breaks. Sometimes our minds

need a little rest before they find the answer.”

It was a simple sentence, but it stayed with me.

I thanked him and returned to my table. Instead of feeling defeated, I looked at my problem differently. I

took a short break, came back, and eventually figured it out.

The interesting thing was that the man probably forgot about that conversation within a few minutes. For

him, it was just a small act of kindness. But for me, it became a reminder that even a few words from a

stranger can make a difference.

We often imagine that changing someone’s life requires a huge action. We think we need to do something

extraordinary to matter. But sometimes, the smallest gestures are the ones people remember the most.

Holding a door open, helping someone pick up dropped papers, giving encouragement, or simply asking

someone how they are doing can brighten a person’s day.

In a world where everyone is busy and focused on their own goals, kindness can feel rare. But kindness

does not require money, special skills, or a lot of time. Anyone can practice it.

That day in the library taught me an important lesson: we may never know how much a small action means

to someone else. A few seconds of kindness can become a memory that lasts much longer.

Maybe the next time we have a chance to help someone, we should take it. We might become the stranger

who changes someone’s day.

No comments:

Post a Comment