Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Summer Break By: Sujal Mirchandani

 Summer Break

By: Sujal Mirchandani


# Summer Doesn't Feel Like It Used To


Summer was my favourite time of year. Back when I was younger, it seemed as though summer went on forever. I used to wake up late, spend my time playing outside, playing games and watching television, and yet the day still seemed very long.


Summer now seems a lot shorter.


I can't say whether it's due to my age or simply because I'm busier, but it seems as if summer is vanishing. You're still celebrating the end of term one moment and the next you're coming across back-to-school advertisements everywhere.


Back in my youth, summer seemed to be a big adventure; I still enjoy it nowadays, but I have more things on my mind such as college, work, studying, sports, and just trying to work out what I'm doing with my life.


It's kind of annoying.


One reason why summer seems different is that I know it won't last forever. When you're a child you don't really consider time at all; you just enjoy the day you're having.


I am always thinking about the speed at which time is moving.


At times I wish that I could return to the stage when I was a small child for a whole summer; not since things were perfect, but because I didn't worry about many things and my greatest difficulty was simply being bored.


It's almost pleasant to be getting bored.


I think that's just a consequence of growing older; things which once seemed normal now become things you miss.


I'm making an effort not to worry about the summer passing so quickly, and I really want to enjoy it while it's happening.


Before I know it I'll most likely be back in a classroom again, thinking about where the summer has got to go.


To be honest, I'm already going to say that it went far too quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment