Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Review of Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien by Ananya Singh

Book : The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

Fantasy novels are one of my personal favorites. Being able to escape from reality into a new, imaginative world is amazing. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien is an incredible novel that revolves around a Hobbit named Bilbo Baggins. He is approached by a wizard and a group of dwarves that persuade him to help reclaim their home from the great dragon Smaug. Along the way, Bilbo creates new friendships and learns a lot about himself.
In all honesty, there was very little for me to complain about. There were some decisions made by the characters that I disagreed with but I could look past them. Now, moving on to the good, there were many aspects of this novel that I loved. The description Tolkien uses to explain the characters and Smaug was astounding. It is very evident that he wanted his readers to experience the novel as if they were another character walking alongside Bilbo Baggins. His writing allows the audience to jump into the book. However, the style of writing is quite different than what we are used to reading today. The complex language may be hard to follow at times but it does not make the book unreadable. If you’re new to this writing style then you will get used to it as you read. The plot itself was captivating and unique. This concept is not something you can easily find in other fantasy novels. 
All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. The plot intrigued me even though I watched the movie. You can really see and understand how the characters develop as the story progresses. Fantasy novels are one of my favorite genres to read and Tolkien was able to create an extremely magical and unique experience. I give The Hobbit a 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment