Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Talk About Wardrobe Malfunction…


Talk About Wardrobe Malfunction…
Review of The Chronicles of Narnia Book 2: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a fantasy novel by C. S. Lewis.
Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie are sent to live with an old Professor during World War II. While exploring the house, Lucy stumbles upon a disused wardrobe with an entire world inside. At first, Lucy’s siblings don’t believe her tales of a faun and a magical land called Narnia, yet they too soon discover the world in the wardrobe. However, Narnia is ruled by the evil White Witch, who is determined to destroy any humans who set foot in her land. When Edmund turns traitor, Peter, Susan, and Lucy must find Aslan, the Great Lion, and save their brother as well as Narnia.

Although The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has a relatively light tone, it is unlike most other fairy tales; rather than focusing on romance, Lewis explores themes of betrayal, sacrifice, and loyalty. (Personally, I found this a bit refreshing). The plot is truly splendid, and Lewis’ writing style is at once both humorous and profound. While reading this book, I felt like I was reliving a bit of my childhood. By the end, I had developed such a strong attachment to the characters that I found myself wanting to reread the entire book.
If you love adventure and fantasy and are looking for a light yet captivating read, I highly recommend C. S. Lewis’ timeless novel. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 Ananya Swaminathan

No comments:

Post a Comment