Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Note by Ananya Swaminathan

The Note

The day I left,
You pressed a folded piece of paper into my hand.
Smiling and crying, you whispered,
“Don’t forget to read it.”

But there was a lot of commotion that day
What with me moving away.
As I was packing my suitcase, I failed to notice
The piece of paper drift off my bed and onto the floor.

I meant to read your note when I finally reached,
As a reminder of the place I had left.
You can only imagine the horror I felt
When I realized that I did not have it.

Now I can only speculate what it was you tried to say
But your words are lost to space and time
And I find myself incapable of rediscovering them.
If only I could read your mind.

There is nothing to do but move forward.
I must face the fact that
The most important question will remain unanswered
Until I return to you.

And I surely will, someday.

~Ananya Swaminathan

No comments:

Post a Comment